Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Between 6pm and 8:30pm

I had an unscheduled dinner with an uninvited man who is an acquaintance of an acquaintance who told me that he is writing a book on sports nutrition;
is a medical doctor completing his residency at a prestigious hospital;
is a Hare Krishna devotee;
is a mystic;
is getting into television and radio;
[At this point, the acquaintance who wanted nothing to do with the acquaintance we were seated with has deserted us for the night.]
is able to leave his body at will during meditation (he goes to the astral plane - I've heard it's nice there);
is starting a non profit where he will take in food, prepare it, and homeless and poor will come and eat
Me: "Oh, so, like a soup kitchen."
Him: "No, I definitely wouldn't call it that."
Me: "Right."
Him: "A fellow devotee claims that once the Krishnas take in food and prepare it, it becomes sanctified, blessed, and has a cleansing effect when you eat it."
Me: "So it's like an inadvertent spa treatment."
Him: "Sort of."

Me: "As a medical doctor, do you believe in the existence of sanctified food that cleanses you because it is sanctified?"
Him: "Yes, because I've been cleansed...I'm also in sales and marketing."
Me: "I'm not surprised."
Him: "I sell Amway. Have you ever heard of it?"
Me: "Um-hm."
Him: "Do you think sales is evil?"
Me: "Depends on what you sell. I don't care enough about what people buy, so I would be a horrible sales person."
Him: "Well, I used to not care either. But then I took some courses, 2 years worth, and now I'm completely brainwashed...."
Me: "....by the Krishna's."
Him: "No. By Amway."
And scene.

I was corralled into this person's universe outside of a contemporary performance show where a troupe of dancers in intricate masks and costumes portrayed a beating, a rape and the stages of recovery and survivorship.  All in blacklight.  Set to modern music.  After the show one of the dancers explained how this was actually her personal story.

The quality and magnificence of the art at the show far exceeded the fantastical nature of the conversation after it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment